Bishop of Penang Rt Rev Anthony Selvanayagam told The Scroll the call was made to help victims and their families who had suffered losses due to the JE outbreak.
"We want the people the know the church cares for others although I have not heard of Catholic brothers and sisters affected by the JE. "The call was made during a priest gathering in Stella Maris in Penang two months ago and the response from our churches has been very encouraging.
"The donations were made through Sunday collection services at the respective churches and by generous people who had walked in to hand in the donations,'' he said.
Bishop Anthony said the Penang Diocese has so far collected RM10,000 and that collections for the fund will continue.
Among Parishes which contributed to the Fund included City Parish, that consist of Our Lady Of Sorrows, St Francis Xavier and St John Britto, which presented a collection of RM6,300 to the JE Humanitarian Fund at the Star Publications office. Presentation was made by parish priest Rev Clement Pereira on May 25.
The churches that donated were The Church of Nativity of B.V.M. in Butterworth (RM2,330), thee Church
of the Holy Spirit, off Jalan Masjid Negeri (RM5,550.35), The Church of St Anne in Bukit Mertajam (RM5,000),
the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Kulim (RM4,013,10), the Church of the Holy Name of Mary in
Permatang Tinggi (RM3,000), the Church of St Michael, Ipoh (RM3,018.99) and the Church of St Michael, Alor Star